Sunday, September 26, 2010

Interview with Dwight Carter, Rock Uniform

Name: Dwight Carter
Age: 37

SkySq.: What line of work are you involved in?

Dwight Carter: PR/Event Concept Development/Promotions

SS: How does your PR firm get involved with the fashion scene in Saint Louis?

DC: I involve myself in the development of emerging designers. Produce runway shows and fashion events.

SS: How did you get involved with Lindenwood University's program?

DC: I have had a handfull of the students in my shows and made a connection with Florence Dewan. She has asked me for the past two years to judge her fashion department.

SS: What kind of new designers do you look for to promote and do you feel that Lindenwood University offers that genre of designer?

DC: I look for desigers that think out of the box but still able to market themselves to retail. I have been impressed with most of the designers from Lindenwood. So yes, definately Lindenwood designers are of interest to me.

SS: Along with promoting local fashion events are there any other type of events you promote?

DC: I promote night lilfe events. DJ's and special events.

SS: Which do you prefer working in: fashion or nightlife?

DC: I combine both...My night lilfe events are very fashionable and my Fashion Shows are usually at night! (laughs)


SS: Where did you see yourself five years ago and where do you see yourself five years from now?

DC: Five years ago I was just getting started and five years from now I see myself

SS: When you were in your late teens - early 20s what were your goals and did you see yourself working in PR then?

DC: I saw myself in music. My grandfather was a musician so I was influenced by him to learn the business end of the entertainment industry. I started booking and promoting bands when I was 17 years old. The PR end didn't come for a couple of years when I started making music contacts at College radio stations and music themed newspapers. I have always been involved in promotions but just in the music industry. This fashion career came later.

SS: How long have you been in the fashion business?

DC: I started at Express when I was 19 and worked all through college. After graduating I worked events and promotions for the RFT, Contemporary Productions, The Fox Theatre, Javelin Inc and Scottrade. I returned back to retail later managing a Hollister, then going back to Express as a manager, Zeizo and Play boutique. So off and on for 18 years but consistently for about 9.

SS: Is there any advice you would like to give to aspiring design students that plan on branching out in to the fashion world?

DC: Keep designing, keep doing shows, think out of the box. Get to know your boutiques, read my fav magazines: Vogue and Lucky Magazine get involved in Project: Design! and attend as many fashion shows as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment